1. Letting kids pick out a new backpack several weeks before school starts can help them mentally prepare for and positively anticipate the new school year.
2. Choose a machine washable backpack for younger students to keep up with active kids. Juice box explosion? Glitter gone wild? No problem.
3. The average 6th grader carries 18.4 pounds in their backpack, with some carrying as much as 30 pounds. Be sure to help your middle and high school student select a backpack designed to minimize back strain.
4. Multiple compartments help kids stay organized and help distribute backpack weight more evenly for added carrying comfort.
5. Adjust the backpack so that the bottom sits at your child's waist.